Friday, January 18, 2013

Healthy Living: Yoga for Beginners

I am telling you, after doing personal Yoga, I felt relaxed and immediately experienced tremendous relief in my right arm (which lately have been showing signs of carpal tunnel).

I did not follow a video instruction which I had once before (couple of years ago).  I just did a few warm-up exercises before doing the actual Yoga. This loosens your joints and muscles to make it more flexible, plus you'll avoid any serious Yoga injuries. So these warm-up exercises are a must!


Stretching Exercises

(Some of the stretching exercises shown in image are easy to follow, others indicated below which are not included in the image are also easy to do)

Stretching - stretch your shoulders to the far back, releases tension, improves posture, while stretching do not forget to inhale and exhale.
Eye Exercises - without moving your head, move your eyes to the left, right, up and down.
Neck Exercises - turn your head slowly to the left (stop for a few seconds at every turn) then turn to the right then up and down (do this carefully to avoid serious neck injuries or stiff neck) if done correctly you will feel the tension in your neck disappear.
Shoulder Lifts - lift your shoulders up and down, to the front and to the back, inhale and exhale.
Arm Swings - swing your arms and bring it to the sides and bend towards the waist, inhale and exhale.
Trunk Swing - swing your trunk to the left and to the right, inhale and exhale.
Jog in Place - to get your heart pumping, as a cardio exercise, jog in place for a good 5 minutes, inhale and exhale.
Jumping Jacks - do a few jumping jacks, additional cardio exercise, for 5 minutes as well. Inhale and exhale

I did these warm-up exercises personally, afterward, I did the Basic Yoga Poses like the following image:

Basic Yoga Poses

I am intent on doing Bikram Yoga eventually but I have to prepare myself for a few days before doing the actual Bikram Yoga. I have seen the basic poses and I don't think my body is ready to do those quite yet, I am honestly not that fit, yet..but I am determined to do this. So wish me luck! And good luck to you too, should you intend to do Bikram Yoga in the future as well.

 Bikram Yoga

Images: 1 | 2




2 comments:

  1. I have been sharing good finds on science, psychology and yoga. The World Wide Web can be info overload and has been known to make my brain hurt. So I thought a short cut would be appreciated by some of my likeminded friends out there.

    Cheers!
    Yoga Online

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite amazingly, yoga retreats are getting embraced by western world as a popular method for relaxing and staying fit.

    yoga for beginners

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...